Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Quickie

Sorry for the brief update, but I've only got a few minutes on this computer before I have to go meet the boys for a ride. Racing last weekend was a kick in the pants. Both "crits" were on closed circuits without any hard turns. The first was nothing like a race. We rolled around for 45 minutes pacelining and then sprinted for half a lap. The second race was a bloodbath. The wind was really howling and people just hit it from the gun and didn't stop. Jet-lagged, out-gunned and with no idea who or what to mark I was in my own little world of suffering for 58 minutes of an hour race before getting popped. I was the last guy to get blown and only the 11 other guys ahead of me finished out of 40+. I still felt like a toolbag. Not a great way to start my Australian racing career, but oh well. I had put new brakepads on and they were screaming like a freight train braking every time I touched them, so at least I was memorable. Jono was so embarrassed he would try to brake with one hand and hold me back at stopsigns. Awful!

We're up in Noosa now, a beach resort town north of Brisbane and the plan is to kick it like superstars before doing a suicide crit on Saturday. I say suicide, because its a big money crit on a narrow two lane road with TIGHT U-turns at both ends and 20,000 people whipping teh riders into a frenzy. This is going to be my last race of the season (Finally!) after a long 10 months of racing. The legs have been feeling like absolute garbage, but maybe I can find a little form for one more day. Then its nothing but kick back and enjoy the sun and surf. In the words of Jono, "This...is...living..."

P.S. As soon as I get back to some reliable wireless and my computer I'll try to upload some photos. They say they're worth a thousand words and that beats the hell out of typing.