Friday, October 2, 2009

Just can't catch a break (figuratively)

Hooray! Turns out my teammate Lisban has the leaders jersey after the first road stage and since I'm 40 minutes down the job for today was to keep Lisban safe. I was so wrecked from yesterday that I almost couldn't roll out of bed. The whole room was bustling as people ate breakfast and got ready and I was still horizontal. I somehow got myself dressed, sucked down some breakfast and made it out the door. We left the hotel when the race was supposed to be starting, but true to form we still had to sit around for a half hour when we got there.

The stage today was a doozy. It was 6 long laps of mostly rolling terrain with one big nasty climb. It wasn't long, but it was STEEP! The better part of it was over 20%. It went up and up, then came FLYING down a huge whoop-de-doo. 20% down and then 20% up. It rolled for a bit and then did a twisting, scary descent before opening up into a wide straight drop where we hit 50+mph each time. More rolling terrain led to the finish.

I'm pretty proud if how I rode. I felt terrible, but I still managed to help out. I did a lot of work early, covering moves and such, and then in later laps driving the pace and fetching water. I was so sure I was going to get popped each time up the climb, but each time I dug deep to stick with the group. Our guys had some tough luck and it was just myself and Joshua left with Lisban as the miles ticked down. Then on the last lap Lisban sent me back to get some cola. I was hanging around at the back of the pack waiting for the team car when I flatted. Again. So weak.

I stood at the side of the road for maybe 2 minutes before our car came up. Turns out they'd been pulled over by the cops. Unbelievable. So they finally came up and got me a wheel, but the race was long gone by that point. I noodled the last lap with a Brit from Emile's team who recognized me from Belgium 2 years ago. I almost got off and walked up the climb, but we made it. Betty handed me a coke right at the top of the climb and now I'm back at the ranch safe and sound and trying to muster up some energy to reglue my tubie, again. Good news is Lisban finished with the front group. I think there may have been a small break (1 or 2 guys) off the front so I don't know if he still has the jersey, but if he doesn't he's still close.

No comments: