Sunday, October 4, 2009

Wow

That's all I can say. Wow. I've heard nothing but legends about this final stage since I arrived in this country, but nothing could have prepared me for how insane it was. I got popped on the first climb (I'm sick in addition to being the most exhausted I've ever been), so I got to drive the course in the caravan.

I wish I'd had my camera because words can't do it justice. There was not a flat stretch if road after the first 5 miles. The course tore up and down insanely steep roads cut through the jungle, ripping down to the sea before climbing back to the tops of the mountains, again and again and again. Some of the pitches had extended 20% grades. It was the most beautiful, and the most vicious, course I have ever even heard and its hard to believe anyone could finish it.

Maybe 70 started, less than 30 finished. 3:40 was the winning time and the last finisher was at 5 hours. Lisban is insane. He did a heroic ride to finish with the front bunch of 10. One man got away, but Lisban won the field sprint for 2nd on the day and 2nd overall.

Madness.

No comments: