Thursday, October 1, 2009

Dammit

I flatted. End of lap two coming in hot for the points sprint and I got led right into a huge pothole. Smashed the rear wheel flat and I've been too scared to look at how bad the damage to the wheel is. I managed to keep it upright, but the wheelchange was about the slowest ever. I had to do it myself, plus root through the car for a 10spd wheel and then it got stuck in the window. So slow! It also happened at the worst possible time: the whole field was sprinting flat out and about 100 meters after the line they turned into a falseflat headwind. (My buddy just told me they didn't slow down after the sprint and that's when the break formed) Also, our driver was Miss Alexander and though she's about the nicest lady ever she either didn't know how or didn't want to pace me back on.

I suffered by myself for almost a whole lap, got a few more chasers with me and caught back on right after the turn into the headwind. I don't think I have ever chased that hard in my life. It was hotter than any other race I've ever done and I was out of food and water. I only got back on bc a group of 20+ had gotten away. They were noodling. But about 2k later some ninnies decided to attack through the feed zone in an effort to bridge the 2:40 gap.

I got popped. I was towards the back still trying to recover and just got gapped off. So lame. I chased. Hard. For two laps. Then I decided it would be best to ask what the timecut was so I wasn't just banging my head against the wall. Turns out there isn't one. They just give you the time of the last finisher. So I tucked tail and headed for the hotel.

Only problem: no key and no one in the office. At this point I was so cracked I thought about begging for food. I went and asked everyone for a key, but no one was able to help. I was physically drained and emotionally crushed. Finally some juniors from grenada (I think) who were doing the shorter race and staying next door got back and I climbed from their balcony to ours. If you know me, you know I'm petrified of heights. So the fact that I dangled my ass over that railing to get a shower and a bite to eat says something about how desperate I was.

So I get to start tomorrow, but I feel as drained as I ever have and tomorrow is a hilly day. We'll just have to see.


:(

No comments: