Thursday, October 1, 2009

One down

The opening stage of the Tobago International Cycling Classic was a 12k TT on a rolling loop. I rode it with some janky clipons and my Williams 58s, which was better gear than some, but not as good as the full TT rig including disk and helmet that a few people were riding, including the german who beat me by a minute and a half. One and a half minutes on a 12k course. That stinks.

The commissar warned us that the organization would be minimal and that we shouldn't expect much in the way of course marshals. Nevertheless I got a little flustered when I saw some euro almost get pancaked by a corrolla as he made the first left onto the course. The cop hadn't even tried to stop the car. I went to the official to suggest that maybe they should tell the cop to try to control traffic, and they just said, "Its going to be like that all the way around. You're in charge of your own safety." Sweet.

My start was around 7:20am and it was already so hot I was sweating as soon as I stepped outside. I had a decent start, always watching for traffic at every turn. I wasn't moving very fast on the way out trying to save some for a 3 step climb about 2/3 of the way through. I got caught in traffic before the climb and had to weave in and out of it and into the oncoming lane more than once.

I made it over the climbs and caught my minute man right at the bottom of the descent. He was a rider from Guadalupe and as I passed he just tagged right onto my wheel. I couldn't believe it. Physically it doesn't make you go slower to have someone behind you, but mentally its kind of jarring. His team car was behind him actually encouraging him. I told my teammates about it postrace and they said "oh yeah, those guys always cheat. They'll even get in the van sometimes a get a ride during a stage." This island racing is a kick in the pants.

Time for a little nap-a-roo before stage two this afternoon. Its just 10 laps of the TT course. Apparently there's a sprinters jersey up for grabs in this race, and I may just see what I can do. I was so blown and overheated after the TT that I almost passed out on the way home, but whaddyagonnado? We'll just see what happens.

No comments: