Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Dumbest. Race. Ever.

Yep, that's the pace car with its light blazing on an unlit course. There weren't enough course martials, so a girl rode in front of the race and got T-Boned by a Fly V rider. Miraculously she was OK, but the FlyV guy won a trip to the hospital for a possible broken collar bone and collapsed lung. They had to stop the race to get an ambulance on the course.

At this point I was about to just ask for my money back, but like an idiot I didn't. After maybe 20 minutes or so they were ready to restart. So here's what they planned. A break of 3 had 50 seconds so they were gonna start them and then 43 seconds later start the chase of 8 then 7 seconds later start the field. This was a 0.6 mile course, so if you give people a 50 second head start they're pretty much gonna lap the field. Idiotic.

That's pretty much exactly what happened. Frankly, were lucky they didn't just slam right into the back of us. Well, they're lucky they didn't slam into the two cop cars that they forgot to take off the course before restarting us. Not only that, but they didn't take off enough laps after having us sit around for so long, so the race finished pretty much in the dark on a completely unlit course (still 8 to go when that picture was taken). I don't think I've ever seen a race run so poorly.

I wasn't even that surprised when I got caught in a massive pile up and had some numbskull run his chainring into my ankle. I got back in for a few laps and then said screw it. Its just not worth killing yourself for such a stupid race. I don't know if that makes me a coward or a shitty bike racer (and it might, because 80 other guys finished the race just fine) but if I'm that pissed off and sour I'm not gonna have a great ride anyway.

If today looks anything like yesterday I think I'll get my money back and get in some miles on the TT bike. Now I know why they call it StupidWeek.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

don't hold back!

Sophie said...

i know this is now four days ago now but i recommend ice cream in a cone- i don't think ice cream in a bowl has the same wholesome, smile inducing effect. in any case, i'm glad you didn't break something.