Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Hittin the Road




I’m finally off. Hittin’ the road. I think that Colorado was dropping hints that it was time for me to skedaddle. How does a state tell you to leave? By sending tornados and golf ball sized hail. If you don’t believe me, just check out the photos. I don’t think the tornado actually touched down too close to Denver, but the man on the TV told me to stay in the basement for a bit.

 



Being me I left all of my packing for a two month road trip until the last day, so between gluing tubulars, doing about 10 loads of laundry, and getting everything I need for months of racing into the car I got a pretty late start. I finally did fit it all in, with not much room to spare, and struck out at noon for a 14 hr drive(bad math you say? Nay, crossing time zones). I made it a good distance, but in the end I figured it wasn’t worth driving until 3am when I was going to be racing in two days. So after another meal at subway, and a nice Iowa sunset I called it a day in Clear Lake.

 

I stayed in the fabulous Best Western Holiday Lodge, where the smoke was so thick on the third floor that I had to army crawl to my room to keep from passing out. I managed to fit all the wheels and my bikes into the room, and we were all very cozy for the next seven hours until we had to get on the road again.

            

No comments: