Thursday, June 25, 2009

Cycling Gods Frown on Hairy Legs

Yesterday at the Fond Du Lac Criterium I was overwhelmed with a strange mix of feelings: Elation from the win, exhaustion from the 1.7 hours of sleep (had to pick Fred up at 4:40am), and discomfort from the insane heat and the Denny's breakfast that felt like it was trying to exact revenge for waking it up so early. Tired, sick and hot is not normally the best way to go into a race, but you'd be surprised how much that bit of elation can even out the mix.
Wisconsin sunrise picking up Fred:

I know I've said it already, but it is hot here. Fred had the right idea and immediately stripped down to his board shorts and took a nap in the shade. The sun would move and maybe a quarter sized shaft of light would hit him and that would be enough to wake him and force him to move. We spent the whole day cooking, or being cooked I should say; the first way makes it sound like we were having a delightful barbecue. Manning the Williams Wheels booth is an interesting experience because you get such a wide variety of people, from serious racers to weekend warriors to the best and worst of local color. Every now and then you get people who don't really look like they're ever ridden a bike in their lives. They're more interested in finding anyone to talk to them than Williams Wheels, but Freddo and I are representing the company and you just have to chat it up. Its nice to have Fred here finally because he has the gift of gab and can take over when my enthusiasm might be flagging a bit. Yesterday he chatted for a long time with a man who must have been 280lbs and had literally one tooth left. Fred was kind, courteous and helpful the whole time, but when he left Fred looked at me and said, "Well, at least he's got one thing goin' for him." Cracked me up.
Fred, post-nap:

The race itself wasn't much to speak of. Flat four corners. Pretty standard. I threw in a few digs early in the race and was surprised to feel half decent, but I couldn't get anything going and figured I'd sit in for a bit. Bad choice. Somehow a group of 11 guys trickled up the road in 2s and 3s and I completely missed the boat. Keith! Where are you with the race radio?! I didn't really know that was the case until too late so I just settled in for the sprint. It was all looking good with one to go as I had tacked myself onto Frank Pipps wheel and he had Sheldon to lead him out, but when Frank yelled go Sheldon didn't light it up (no room maybe?) and we got swarmed before the first corner. I lost a lot of spots and though I found the wind on the backside to make a move I was on the outside and couldn't get a good line through the last two corners going that fast. The finishes to these crits are weird too. Even though some of the roads are really wide, they use barriers to narrow it down to less than two lanes wide for this finishing banner. Not so sweet. Meh. So be it.

They almost forgot to do the podium for the road race, but Lisa and Jack (organizers and really nice people) saw my face and made it happen. I must of looked like a kid who'd been told there'd be no Christmas this year. Everything worked out and Miss Wisconsin and Miss Teen Wisconsin (thinking of you here, Rand) presented me with the ceremonial cow-print stage winners jersey. Awesome.
Ceremonial Chocolate Milk:

No comments: