Monday, June 29, 2009

Famous People I Know, or My Man-Crush on Gavin Melly

I may be a few thousand miles from the NorCal cycling scene right now, but some news is so big it somehow makes its way to me. He’ll probably kick my ass if he ever hears about this blog post, but I have to note the fact that my good friend Gavin Melly, the Quick Mick, G-Money-G, pulled off the double this past weekend. That’s right, folks. Two races, two wins.

I know Gavin from my Stanford days. I feel like a dipshit trying write about him, because aside from knowing his way around a bike the man is a poet and a scholar. I’ve often thought about getting him to ghostwrite this thing for me so I sound learned, but he’s got better stuff to do, like wining bike races. Anywho, Gavin, despite what he may think, is a gifted cyclist who's been looking to get out of the Cat 3s. Its hard as a collegiate cyclist, because you don’t get upgrade points for college racing, but it takes up most of the season (and almost all of your time).

Well he’s as good as gold now. I still haven’t had the pleasure of any race reports, but the way I hear it he won two field sprints (at Benicia and Burlingame), each by a large enough margin so that when people publish their photos from the weekend I’ll come back and update this blog with some victory salutes. I can’t think of anyone more deserving. Congratulations, Gavin. I can’t wait to throw some elbows at ya in the next race.

Update: I'm too cheap to purchase and too scared of copyright infringement to nab, so I'll just have to link. Gavin crushing Benicia. Thats called winning with clean wheels.

No comments: