Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I'm just glad this guy ain't no Amuhrican!

I'd be remiss if I didn't give some big congratulations to my friend Chris Winn for his incredible ride at Nature Valley. I met Aussie Chris a little more than a year ago in Colorado as we were both heading to Nature Valley '09 to ride on the Pro Ride composite team. He's a swell guy and a damn fine bike racer and its always fun to run into him at races around the country.

Anyway, Chris must be riding out of his mind right now because he STOMPED the the Stillwater Criterium. Stillwater is the dreaded final stage of Nature Valley, and it is without a doubt the hardest single race I've ever done. The course is brutal. You just smash yourself into an 18% climb, push over false flat for a short eternity and then rip down a nerve wracking descent and do it all over again. The race is only 20 laps long, but if you can survive 5 they'll consider you a finisher and give you a pro-rated time. Yup, its that hard.

Chris has been eyeing this stage since we raced it over a year ago, and I guess all that planning, training, and visualizing paid off because he whipped himself to a 4th place on the stage, just a few seconds back from the human juggernaut Rory Sutherland. That incredible ride was good enough to move him into 12th overall and snag him the best amateur jersey in the race. Take it from a guy who's done that race, that's one hell of a result. You can read more about it on his blog.

So hats off to you, Chris. Like I said, I'm glad you're not a citizen so I don't have to slash your tires out here at Nationals.

Racing kicks of tomorrow with the TT, and if Philip Mooney isn't a national champion by 2pm Pacific time I'll eat my hat.

1 comment:

Chris Winn said...

Thanks Parnesy! Pro Ride last year was good times eh... Best of luck for Nationals mate...rip it up!