Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Things That Make Me Smile

I'm saving all my energy up for the coming showdown at Redlands so I'm not going to write a long post. Instead I'm going to offer up a few little happy things from the last few days.

1. Awesome host housing. Debbie and Barry (and Bailey!) not only welcomed us into their home for San Dimas, they wowed us with some awesome home-cooked meals. Phil mentioned that he had missed out on corned beef and cabbage this St. Patty's day, and D&B went out of their way to make it for us one night. And cookies. And a huge taco feast. In fact, I'm not entirely sure they weren't trying to sabotage my hill-climbing ability.

2. Awesome host housing, part 2. For Redlands five of us are kicking it with Kylie and Mike, two insane, tough-as-nails Ironman triathletes and altogether awesome people. They have two sweet doggies, and I don't want to brag, but those ladies just could not keep their hands (paws) or tongues off of me. What can I say? Must be the mustache!

3. "If I win this race we're going to Red Lobster!" -Vincent Owens, while reconnoitering the HCTT. I hope he gets a win soon, cause I've got a hankering for champagne and cheddar bay biscuits.

4.  Joe from Davis Wheelworks. I'd love to say more about Joe here, but the truth is I barely know the guy, which makes what he did that much more spectacular. Joe owns Davis Wheelworks and from what I can gather he is single-handedly responsible for invigorating the cycling scene in Davis. He puts on the local Wednesday night time trial that has grown from a small gathering to a weekly fixture that attracts over a hundred riders. He runs a totally killer shop, stocked to ceiling with amazing bikes and run by knowledgeable staff. More than all of that though, Joe seems to have a soft spot for struggling, up and coming cyclists. I finally got my sweet new TT rig but I was a total loss as to how to put the thing together. Joe took it upon himself to help me and Adam build our bikes. Not only that, but he did it last minute at the drop of a hat. We literally dropped 3 bikes off at 10pm and they were expertly built and ready to go before the shop opened the next morning. I'm totally blown away by Joe's kindness, and I can tell you exactly what shop I'll be going to for as long as I'm within 100 miles of Davis. The only problem now is that I have no idea how to repay him. You can check out Davis Wheelworks on facebook and twitter.

5. Evan "The Wolf" Huffman. Evan may be the youngster on the team, but he is all man. During the San Dimas RR he grew hungry from his exertions. Not having any race food at hand he leaned down and snatched a hapless squirrel that happened to be darting across the course. And then he feasted:
Look at him! Its like he enjoyed it or something. Savage!

6. Good teammates. It makes all the difference in the world riding with great guys, and these guys are great. They're funny as hell, bright, savvy, and best of all they can throw down on the bike. I think anyone can get on a team with a bunch of strong guys, but when you spend just about every waking moment with people for long stretches of time you'd best get along with them well. Luckily I do. I couldn't be happier traveling, shit-talking and wrecking house with anyone else. I can't wait to see how Redlands goes.

No comments: