Monday, September 21, 2009

Back on the... road?

I totally thought my season was over. On coaches orders I had just spent a week doing as little as possible and getting ready to head back to Idaho for some real R&R. I had actually packed everything up and was en route back to Ketchum when I got a call from a friend saying a composite team was looking for riders at some racing in the Caribbean. I told him was full of it, and it wasn't funny to joke at other peoples expense. But on the off chance that this wasn't too good to be true I called the number he gave me and, long story short, I'm leaving tomorrow morning for two weeks on Trinidad & Tobago. I can't really believe it either.

The plan is to do one crit and two stage races and spend as much time on the beach as possible. It turns out two expats are organizing a team to compete in their home race and I'll be riding with two pursuiters from the Canadian national team and Erik Slack, a buddy from Bobs Bicycles in Boise. Apparently we're going to be staying with the brother of one of the team directors for the first stretch of racing, then chilling on Trinidad for a few days before heading over to Tobago for the second stage race. I was a bit worried about how my legs would feel after a long season and a week on my ass, but Judd said that if I got in a few hard rides this past week I might actually be on some decent form. So the fingers are crossed. I'd really like to have a good ride to please the director. I mean, if they're going to take care of me for two weeks I should produce something.

So I'd attach a picture to this post, but it would just be my big smiling face. I drove over to Denver and spent the day trying to glue up wheels and get ready for the big trip. I'm absolutely beside myself that this opportunity fell into my lap and I hope it'll be half as much fun as I think it will be. I don't know what the internet situation is going to be like down there, but I'll do my best to update this thing on a regular basis and let you know how things are going.

So stoked!

No comments: