Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Feelin' the Birthday Love

I had an awesome birthday. Nothing epic or amazing, just a really solid day. I got up and walked the dog to a coffee shop and back and then went out and did one of my favorite rides in the area. Its a nice climb up into the foothills called Montebello, but at the top the road turns to dirt and runs along a ridge giving 360 degree views of the bay area. Awesome. Just awesome. Plus someone had written a marriage proposal on the climb. "Woman's name...will...you...marry me?" with a few hundred yards in between each. I guess writing your proposal on a steep-ass climb is one way to make sure you leave her breathless. I did forget to bring water and food and had to make a pit stop at a friends in Palo Alto, but that turned into a great little visit.

Then my darling mother, who fears no road, drove all the way down here to California from Idaho. We finally met up in the evening and went to check out some Friday night racing at Hellyer Velodrome, the local track. I've done some low key racing once, but I've never seen solid fields battle it out and its really something to behold. Local Legend Mike Hernandez was announcing the races and that guy is clearly out of his mind, but in the most entertaining way. I'm really glad we got down there to see some of that racing.

But beyond all that what really made it such a special day was all the love I got from friends and family. I know I'm a hard guy to get ahold of and I'm certainly not the best at keeping in touch, but you all took the time to send me some kind words on my b-day and it means the world to me. I can't thank you enough.

No comments: