Saturday, September 25, 2010

Double Whammy

I don't usually go the boastful route, but I'm damn proud of my win yesterday. That's right! Ryan J. Parnes is the two time winner of the Newsday Cycling Classic. I say "my" win, but we all know it takes a team to win these races, and my team absolutely slayed it yesterday. Jamie Sparling was OTF for most of the race on a kamikaze solo mission, and he singlehandedly softened up the legs of the field while Mooney, Atze and Nathan covered anything that so much as twitched in the field. I got a free ride all the way to the finish thanks to their hard work. It was like riding a big puffy cloud... well, it was until I got caught behind a pileup in the treacherous second corner; the very same corner that I had assured Mr. Mooney was nothing to worry about.

Oh well. I snagged a free lap and got right back into the mix with just a few cuts and bruises to show for my trouble. The field continued their bonzai chase and managed, with great effort, to pull Jamie back with just a lap and a half to go. I managed to muscle my way into the Trek Team leadout and came around Gene "Geronimo" Samuel for the dub, with my friend Adam Alexander of Team Foundation in 3rd. Its a hell of a way to sart the trip. The team is even stronger than last year and this should be two awesome weeks of racing.

Time to hit the road and try to spin some of the post-crash soreness out. I'm hardly banged up at all: P$ put some bandaids on my elbow yesterday and it just looks like I cut myself shaving.

We're back with Wayne and his wonderful family for the rest of the San Fernando races. They take such good care of us that I feel more like sitting around drinking coffee and eatng all day, so I should probably get up and go now or I might never make it. Rage on, ragers.

1 comment:

Williams Cycling said...

Great job boys. An American Hurricane!