Friday, July 2, 2010

Well that's nats... and beyond.

Note: The photos today have little to do with the words, but I likes 'em.

I don't really know what to write about the whole Nationals experience. I went up there to win races and I didn't succeed in that. In fact, I feel like I blew the finishes of the crit and RR. But despite falling a little short (and catching a bunch of shit from the management for it) I feel like this trip to Bend was a really important experience for my growth as a cyclist.

Deschutes River (and chicks sunbathing on an air mattress)

I still learn a great deal every time I race and these Nationals were no different. Nothing drives home a lesson like a painful loss.
Race: Crit
Lesson 1: The dynamic nature of a bike race demands mental flexibility. I'd been thinking for hours, days and weeks about when and how I was going to come off of Bosch's wheel for the win. When Bosch got taken out in a late race crash I had trouble adjusting my strategy.
Lesson 2: Its better to use too much energy to get into winning position and have nothing left at the finish than it is to conserve so much energy that you miss your window and have a ton of gas left over. When we got swarmed with half a lap to go I should have kicked to be one of the first into turn 3. I didn't.

Team dinner. I got pulled pork, fries and disapproval.

Race: Road Race

Lesson 1: Having a strong support crew to keep you cool and hydrated is a tremendous advantage. We had awesome family and staff handing up bottles and ice and it kept us comfortable and fresh during all four hours in the hot sun.
Lesson 2: Having a strong, talented team makes all the difference. Tyler and Evan jumped in the early break and rode it as long as they could giving the YCT a free ride until they were brought back. This meant we could save our legs and watch as other teams, especially Exergy, ripped themselves to pieces trying to bring the break back.

Ice cream van stopped right in front of our house. That's a free pass.

Lesson 3
: Its okay to be selfish/everyone is hurting at the end of a long race. When Jesse attacked on the final roller one other guy went with him Phil was right on it. The three opened a gap immediately and I sat up, not wanting to chase my teammate and expecting one of the dozen other guys to do the work. They didn't, and instead of cleaning up the sprint for 2nd I had to claw my way back to 5th. If I'm going to be a finisher I need to be there at the finish no matter what.
Lesson 4: When your teammates have confidence in you and are depending on you its possible to do incredible things. I'm not a climber and I got shelled on the climbs on the 4th lap last year. With one to go Adam told me he wasn't feeling up to it and he'd spend himself positioning me so I could have a shot at the finish. I was worried, but when the team leader says its on you you've got no choice but to nut up. Then after the steep pitch where the false flat seems to drag forever Phil yelled at me to "EAT SHIT, PARNES," which roughly translates to "HTFU." At right is a picture of what it feels like when I climb. Its not what I was born to do, but having the guys that you race with and respect demanding nothing short of your best is pretty damn motivating. I guess lesson 4 is "Have awesome teammates who believe in you." I'm lucky I can check that one off.

So no, I didn't win. I was, however, consistent and I showed some damn promising improvement (ITT: from 32nd 4 min down to 9th, 1 min down and less than 30 seconds off of third, RR: from 35th to 5th). The takeaway message is that I'm getting stronger and I think when my head catches up to my legs good things are gonna happen.

In other news, Bend is one of my favorite places in the world. The combination of natural beauty, an active and social small town and a riotous group of great people makes Bend a truly special place. I've only visited a couple of times, but each one has left me completely enchanted with the town and its inhabitants. I'm pretty sure I'd move there if the roads weren't covered in snow all winter.



The Wolfman doing what he does best.


No comments: