Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mother's Day Present from the Mooney Monster

This guy is out of control. Just when I thought I was hot shit for winning back to back races against Cat 3s, Phil comes out and does the double on hard courses against stacked fields. I'm not kidding when I say stacked. The Berkeley Hills road race is not only a tough course, but our field included some serious pros prepping for the Tour of California next week: Lucas Euser, Jackson Stewart, and Scott Swizanski. If you think I'm kidding just look them up and prepare to be awed. They're the real deal. Which is why its that much more impressive that after handily winning the 1st annual PG&E Criterium on Saturday Phil was able to snag his second win of the weekend against them. Not to be outdone, Tyler "T-Rex" Dibble, so named for his frightening leg:arm ratio, slammed his way home for third, beating out the aforementioned pros and a whole host of other strong riders. I'm sure they were coming off of pretty big training weeks, but I still think its awesome. And kudos to Nate English(Echelon Grand Fondo) for riding like moto to a strong seconds place. God help us if he ever learns any tactics because no one else would ever win a road race.

Where was I when all this was occurring? I was licking my wounds and a melty Muscle Milk bar (or six) on the side of the road. I think I dug a bit too deep again last week, and after trying to do some work in the first lap my legs pretty much gave up on me. The mind was willing, but the flesh was spongy and bruised. I stopped for a breather in the feed zone on lap 2 of 5 and barely had enough gas to make it back to the start. Ouch. I don't think it was a total waste. The guy Phil beat in the sprint was the one chasing me on lap one, so I feel like I played some small part. Very small.

But back to Phil. He's actually winning so much its angering the authorities:

Here's a little post-race with Phil and Tyler. Phil is so tired he can't stand up, which is a real shame because those sparkling white shorts will never be the same.

Okay, being as this post is already rife with video, here's one more for ya. It's Phil, ever the gentleman, honoring the YCT's adopted mother (and Evan's biological mother) Lorry Huffman. It seems like she's out there every weekend giving feeds and generally taking care of us misfits. She is truly incredible. I felt pretty good having called my darling mother on Sunday, but Phil just had to one up me again:

Okay, we all get it. Phil Mooney is pretty cool. But apparently his influence reaches all the way to the highest levels of professional cycling. You see, when we all thought Phil had made a shameful mistake by losing one of his shoes in transition at the Escape From Alcatraz TRIATHLON, we should have realized it was a calculated move aimed at innovating cycling fashion. Despite pretty much everyone's claims to the contrary, the mismatch look is in, and it is cool! Here's a picture of Mooney's stylish new footwear:


And here's a picture of Tyler Farrar winning stage 2 of the Giro d'Italia. I'm not saying it's a 100% guaranteed that Phil's cutting edge style was the inspiration for that win, but I'm pretty certain it was. Either that or they've both been taking cues from Adageo.


Can you believe that?! They've even got the right colors on the right feet. Personally, I'm willing to do anything legal to win a bike race including making an ass of myself (this is well documented), so I only have two questions for you, Phil: does it really matter which color goes on which foot, and can you loan me some black spray paint?

Phil, its all in good fun and you're a certified crusher. Don't forget me when you're famous.

No comments: